Oracle Database administrator jobs are some of the best paying jobs in the world today. Companies are always willing to pay a top dollar for qualified Oracle professionals. This is because oracle is the most efficient and effective database provider.
Oracle always has an edge of other databases. This is because
- It can run on all major platforms including Windows and networking protocols.
- Oracle supports online backup and recovery.
- It has a wealth of development tools, covering various stages of the development cycle.
- Oracle supports large databases including characters and numbers.
- It provides data to support object oriented database storage.
- Oracle supports cursors which help to make programming way easier.
An oracle DBA has a variety of responsibilities. Some are not permanently employed by the company but offer Oracle DBA consulting services. The responsibilities are:
- Creates and maintains all databases required for the organization’s usage.
- Performs ongoing tuning of the database to ensure their efficiency.
- Controls migrations of programs, database changes, reference data ranges and menu data changes through development life cycle.
- Evaluates releases of oracle and its tools, and third party products to ensure that the site is running the products that are most appropriate.
- Provides technical support to application development teams. This is usually in the form of a help desk. The DBA is usually the point of contact for Oracle Corporation
- Enforces and maintains database constraints to ensure integrity of the database.
- Administers all database objects, including tables, clusters, indexes, views, sequences, packages and procedures.
- Assists with impact analysis of any changes made to the database objects.
In as much as being an Oracle DBA is a lucrative job, it takes a lot of hard work to get to the top of the game. You will need some skills to help you to work efficiently with Oracle:
- A good knowledge of the operating systems.
- A good knowledge of physical database design.
- Ability to perform both Oracle and also operating system performance monitoring and the necessary adjustments.
- Good skills in all oracle tools.
- A good knowledge of oracle security management.
- Sound knowledge of the applications at your site.
- A good knowledge of how oracle enforces data integrity.
- A good knowledge of the business entity.
- A DBA should have sound communication skills with management, development teams, vendors, systems administrators and other related service products.
As a DBA you are not limited to only IT companies, you can work in various settings. This is also one of the exciting things about being a DBA. Your typical employers are;
- Financial organizations
- Management consultancy firms such as Oracle consulting firms. If you do not like the whole idea of employment, you can open your own firm for Oracle consulting services.
- Software companies
- Universities and academic institutions
- Local authorities
- Central government
- Charity organizations
- Or any other organizations that stores large amounts of information and data.
Make that decision you have been wanting to make and join the path to becoming a successful Oracle DBA expert.